Sydney Office

Level 35
201 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Melbourne Office

Level 4
99 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Brisbane Office

Level 5
231 North Quay
Brisbane QLD 4000

Canberra Office

Level 5
1 Farrell Place
Canberra ACT 2601

Perth Office

Level 10
111 St Georges Terrace
Perth WA 6000

Adelaide Office

Level 30, Westpac House
91 King William St
Adelaide SA 5000

Armstrong Legal Logo

Privacy Policy  |  Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2019 Armstrong Legal. All rights reserved.


Phone 1300 168 676


Toggle Menu Menu

Contesting A Will in NSW

Contact Armstrong Legal:
Sydney: (02) 9261 4555
Melbourne: (03) 9620 2777
Brisbane: (07) 3229 4448
Adelaide: (08) 8410 0055
Perth: (08) 9321 5505

Alun Hill

In NSW, eligible persons can Contest a Will and make what is called a Family Provision claim if they have been left without adequate provision from a deceased estate.

Our team practices exclusively in Wills and Estates Law and are here to guide you through the process to the best possible outcome. If you are considering contesting a will, or if you have a question, we encourage you to call us on 1300 168 676 for a free initial case assessment.

Each State of Australia has a different set of rules which apply when contesting a Will. There are different time limits and eligibility differs in each State depending on where the deceased died. If the deceased died in NSW, the information below is relevant.

Almost all of our Contesting a Will work in NSW is done on a No Win No Fee basis.

Grounds for Contesting a Will in NSW

Contesting a Will refers to making a family provision claim.

In New South Wales, you may Contest a Will if:

  1. You are an eligible person (See Who can contest a will in NSW? (Eligible Applicants) ); and
  2. You believe you have been left without being adequately provided for (adequate provision). The Court may consider your financial position, your relationship with the deceased, the size of the estate and the deceased’s relationship with other persons who are eligible to make a claim. Adequate provision is complex and difficult to define as it varies with every unique case. Given that each case is unique we recommend you call us for a free case assessment.

For further information regarding the matters the Court can consider see: What does the court consider when making a claim? question below.

To discuss whether you have a case, please call us on 1300 168 676 for a free case assessment.

How to Contest a Will in NSW?

Generally a Family Provision Claim is made in NSW if either:-

  1. The deceased was domiciled (that is lived) in NSW at the date of his or her death and owned assets in NSW; or
  2. The deceased lived elsewhere but owned assets in NSW.

Please call one of our lawyers if you are unsure in which state to contest a Will in.

If you are thinking of making a claim, you should act immediately. It is possible the estate property may be sold or transferred and estate funds may be spent. If you delay in making a claim, there may be no assets or funds to claim on.

If you would like to discuss making a claim, you may contact our office to speak to one of our lawyers.

Our lawyers will talk to you about your matter and we are able to settle your claim without going to court depending on your wishes. We can start court proceedings for you if the people who are named in the Will do not want to settle.

To discuss your case, please call us on 1300 168 676.

Who can Contest a Will in NSW? (Eligible Applicants)

In New South Wales there is a category of persons who are eligible to make an application for provision from a deceased person’s estate. These persons are listed in Section 57 of the Succession Act 2006 (NSW).

The following persons are eligible to make an application to the court for an order for provision or further provision:-

  1. The deceased’s spouse at the time of death;
  2. A person who was living in a de-facto relationship with the deceased at the time of death;
  3. The deceased’s child;
  4. The deceased’s former spouse;
  5. A person who was:
    1. Dependent (wholly or partly) on the deceased at a particular time; and
    2. A grandchild of the deceased, or a member of the household of the deceased;
  6. A person who lived in a close personal relationship with the deceased when the deceased died. For example two adults may be classified as living in a close personal relationship if they live together and provide personal care and domestic support, without receiving payment or volunteering for a charity.

A parent, sibling, step-child and former de-facto spouse are not expressly listed as eligible persons. However such persons may be eligible under category (e) if they lived with the deceased and were dependent on the deceased.

How long do I have to contest a will in NSW? (Time Limits)

In New South Wales there is a time limit for contesting a will.

If the deceased died after 1 March 2009, a family provision claim must be commenced within 12 months from the date of death. However if it is uncertain when the deceased died, the Court may determine a date or time of death that is reasonable.

There are some exceptions and in certain cases, out of time applications can be made. If an application for family provision is made more than 12 months after the date of death, you will need to show the court that you have ‘sufficient cause’. The Court has discretion to grant an extension of time if you can show that there is sufficient cause for making a late application. You must provide the court with ‘sufficient justification or excuse’ or ‘sufficient explanation.

We encourage you to make contact with our team on 1300 168 676 for a free case assessment even if you have exceeded the 12 month time limit.

How do I get a copy of a will in NSW?

A common problem that people encounter is that they do not know if they have been included in the deceased person’s will.

The first thing you should do is contact the executor or the solicitor acting for the estate. The executor is the person responsible for administering the deceased’s estate.

In NSW, the following persons are entitled to inspect or be given a copy of the deceased’s will:

  • Any person named or referred to in the will;
  • Any person named or referred to in an earlier will as a beneficiary;
  • The surviving spouse, de-facto or issue;
  • The parent or guardian of the deceased;
  • Any person entitled to a share if the deceased has died intestate;
  • Any parent or guardian of a minor referred to in the will or who would be entitled to a share if the deceased died intestate;
  • Any person/creditor who may have a claim against the deceased;
  • Any person with management of the deceased’s personal estate immediately before death;
  • An attorney under the deceased’s enduring power of attorney;
  • Any person belonging to a class of persons prescribed by regulations.

See Section 54(2) of the Succession Act 2006 (NSW).

You should consult with a lawyer if you are having trouble obtaining a copy of the will, your lawyer can consult with the Executor of the estate or begin court proceedings.

In the event the deceased left no will (died intestate), an application for letters of administration must be made. See Dying Without a Will below for more information.

Costs of Contesting a Will in NSW / Who pays fees?

In New South Wales the Judge has discretion regarding legal costs in family provision proceedings.

If the Judge makes an order for provision for an applicant, the estate will usually pay the applicant’s ordinary costs.

If the applicant is unsuccessful and the Judge makes no order for provision for the applicant, then the Judge may order the applicant to pay the executor’s costs of defending the proceedings. This is why we recommend that you seek advice from a lawyer who specialises in this area of law. We will assess your case and advise you on the strength of your case and likely outcomes.

We offer a variety of costs agreements in these cases including "No Win No Fee" costs agreement.

To discuss costs in greater detail call us on 1300 168 676.

Dying without a will? (Intestacy)

When a person dies without a will, they are said to have died Intestate.

In circumstances, where a person does not have a will or the will cannot be found, an Administrator is appointed by the Court to distribute the estate of the deceased according to the statutory order or intestacy rules. When an administrator is appointed, the Court grants what is called a letters of administration.

It is these letters of administration that enables the person appointed as administrator to act as the representative of the estate. Once a letter of administration is granted the administrator distributes property in the following order:

  • Spouse or de facto spouse and no children;
  • Spouse or de facto spouse and children;
  • Children only;
  • Parents;
  • Other relatives; and
  • No relatives.

What happens if the will is not valid?

You may be able to challenge the validity of a Will if you think:-

  1. The deceased did not have the mental capacity to make a Will;
  2. The Will was forged;
  3. That the deceased was unduly influenced in making the Will; or
  4. There is fraud involved.

Undue Influence

Was there any trickery, force, pressure or fear involved when making the will?

If you believe that any of the above options may apply to you, please call us on 1300 168 676

What does the court consider when making a claim?

In New South Wales, a Court may take various matters into consideration in determining whether to make a family provision order. Given the number of factors involved it is very important to seek early advice on your unique situation.

According to section 60(2) of the Succession Act 2006, the evidence that a court may consider is as follows:

  1. The relationship between the deceased and the applicant, if any, including the nature and duration;
  2. The obligations or responsibilities the deceased had, if any, to the applicant or any beneficiaries of the estate;
  3. The nature and extent of the deceased’s estate including property which is notional estate and any estate liabilities;
  4. The applicant’s financial resources (including earning capacity) and needs (both present and future) and those of any other applicant or beneficiary;
  5. The financial circumstances of any other person cohabiting with the applicant;
  6. Any disability, whether physical, intellectual or mental, of the applicant, any other applicant or beneficiary at the time of the hearing;
  7. The applicant’s age at the time the application is being heard;
  8. The applicant’s contribution (if any) to the deceased’s welfare or to the acquisition, conservation and improvement of the deceased’s estate, for which adequate consideration was not received by the applicant;
  9. Any provision made by the deceased to the applicant during his/her lifetime or from the deceased’s estate;
  10. Evidence of the deceased’s testamentary intentions, including evidence of any statements made by the deceased;
  11. Whether the deceased maintained the applicant, wholly or partly, before his/her death and the extent to and basis on which the deceased did so (if the court considers it relevant);
  12. Whether anyone else is liable to support the applicant;
  13. The applicant’s character and conduct before and after the deceased’s death;
  14. The conduct of any other person before and after the deceased’s death;
  15. Any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander customary law that is relevant;
  16. Any other matter that the Court considers relevant. This may include matters in existence at the time the deceased died or at the time of hearing.

Can Grandchildren contest a will in NSW?

There are a number of factors to be taken into consideration when a grandchild considers making a claim on their grandparent’s estate. The first thing to consider is that you need to be defined as an eligible person and to be defined as an eligible person you need to have been wholly or partly dependent on the deceased at some time in your life (s 57(e) Succession Act 2006).

When examining the case Sammut v Kleemann [2012] NSWSC 1030 Hallen J expressed general principals that should be taken into consideration when considering a family provision application by a grandchild. These principals include:

  1. There is no obligation or responsibility for a grandparent to make provision for a grandchild and a grandchild, in most cases, is not someone that whom a deceased is required to leave provision in their will for.
  2. If a grandchild's parents had died at a young age and the grandchild was left in the care of the grandparent, in most cases, a grandchild should be provided for out of the grandparent’s estate particularly if it is shown that the grandparent was providing for the welfare and direct responsibility of that grandchild.
  3. If a grandchild was to show that they cared for their grandparent this could constitute that the grandparent had a moral obligation to provide for the grandchild.
  4. The payment of school fees or money given to a grandchild as voluntary support and kindness does mean that the grandparent has an obligation to the grandchild to provide for them.
  5. A grandchild isn’t wholly or partially dependent on a grandparent if they had received gifts during the deceased’s lifetime whether those gifts were made regularly or otherwise for the grandchild’s benefit. There would need to be additional factors to show by the grandchild was wholly or partially dependent.
  6. The support of a grandparent towards their adult child does not mean that the grandparent has an obligation to provide for the grandchild. The whole or partial dependence must be experienced directly by the grandchild.
  7. A consideration will still be made as to what, if any, legacy will be received by the grandchild from their parent’s estate however this does not generally counteract any moral obligation that the grandparent has to provide for the grandchild for their maintenance, education and advancement in life.
  8. The Court will consider whether the grandchild’s parent or parents have predeceased the grandparent. This fact is not to be taken on its own.

Can I contest a will if I don’t live in New South Wales?

If the deceased lived in New South Wales and owned assets in New South Wales, a claim can be made in New South Wales even if you don’t live in New South Wales.

The place where you live does not affect whether you can bring a claim in New South Wales. Claimants who live in States or Territories other than New South Wales can make a claim, as can claimants who live overseas.

It is important that you have a lawyer who is specialised in the law of the State where you are making a claim.

where to next?

Have you been left without adequate provision from a deceased estate? We offer a free assessment of your case and a no win no fee policy. We have a specialist team that deals only in Wills & Estates servicing NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT, SA & WA. The law relating to Wills and Estates can often be complex and confusing so we encourage you to make contact with our team.

Why Choose Armstrong Legal?

Contact Armstrong Legal:
Sydney: (02) 9261 4555
Melbourne: (03) 9620 2777
Brisbane: (07) 3229 4448
Adelaide: (08) 8410 0055
Perth: (08) 9321 5505