Communication Book

In parenting matters, the court may require that you and your ex-partner communicate in respect to the children via a communication book. This may be the case where it is clear that communication has broken down between the parties and where the anger and emotion have created insurmountable conflict.

A communication book provides an informal record of the child’s progress, needs and any other important information. The type of information exchanged in a communication book are things such as any medication the child is required to take, any social events or school functions the child is involved in, homework required to be completed by the child, extra-curricular activities or commitments and any information relevant to the child’s progress and development. When used for these purposes, the communication book can be a great tool to assist parties to co-parent their children after separation. The physical act of writing such comments in most cases helps to moderate or exclude derogatory or negative comments; in contrast to, say, a text message or email. The instantaneous nature of text messages and emails makes it easier to send communication in the moment when anger and emotions often have the better of us.

However, a downside to the communication book is it is often carried by the child from each party’s home. As children grow older, they may become privy to information which they should not have been exposed to by virtue of the communication book. With the advancement of technology, applications such as Mymob now exists which foster and encourage positive communication between parents. These applications allow you to share calendars for the shared care arrangements and to message each other about the children. Unlike text messages, the messages exchanged on Mymob and other similar platforms cannot be deleted or altered. This has, in most circumstances, the hopeful effect of making the sender stop and pause before sending any messages.

In addition to the utilisation of a communication book or application such as Mymob, parties should also consider undertaking a parenting after separation course. These courses equip parents with the skills necessary to co-parent after separation; distinguishing the relationship from the needs of the children.

If you would like to discuss strategies to best communicate with your ex-partner please do not hesitate to contact one of the lawyers in our Brisbane Team.

If you require legal advice or representation in any legal matter, please contact Armstrong Legal.


Taking the next step and contacting a family lawyer can be scary. Our lawyers will make you feel comfortable so you can talk about your situation. But first, ask yourself, Do I really need a lawyer?


Armstrong Legal
Social Rating
Based on 271 reviews
Legal Hotline.
Open 7am - Midnight, 7 Days
Call 1300 038 223