Do I Need a Family Lawyer?
When you’re faced with the breakdown of a relationship and the legal issues that follow, one of the decisions you need to make is whether to use a lawyer. While some people choose to represent themselves in family law proceedings, many decide they need representation to maximise their prospects of a favourable outcome.
This checklist may help you decide whether you need a lawyer to represent you. If you answer yes to any of the below questions, you are likely to benefit from legal advice and representation.
- Are there children involved?
- Are you unsure what you’re entitled to?
- Has your partner hired a lawyer?
- Is violence a possible issue?
- Do you feel emotionally unprepared to handle the negotiations yourself?
- Is there likely to be disagreement over the dividing of property or assets?
- Is your partner likely to want to move interstate, overseas or far away with the children?