Criminal Records Check

You can get a copy of your criminal record from the NSW or Federal Police by filling out an application form. A fee will usually be charged.

If you are a NSW resident aged 16 or above, you can apply via the NSW Police Force for a National Criminal History Record Check (NCHRC) for visa, adoption, specified occupational licensing purposes, and paid employment. You can do so by filling out the relevant application form, presenting it with proof of identity to a NSW Police Station or NSW Police Registered Organisation, and paying the appropriate fee. At the time of writing this article the cost of obtaining a NCHRC from the NSW police was $52.

Obtain a national criminal history check.

Child related employment check

Individuals seeking a criminal records check in relation to child-related employment are required to undergo a working with children check and should refer to the NSW Commission for Children and Young People.

If you would like to obtain a Working With Children Check (WWCC) you can apply on the Service NSW website.

Criminal record check for overseas travel or living

Individuals requiring a criminal record check whilst travelling or living abroad must apply via the Australian Federal Police.

You can obtain a criminal record check from the Australian Federal Police.

You may also be interested in:


If you suspect that you may be under investigation, or if you have been charged with an offence, it is vital to get competent legal advice as early as possible. Our lawyers are highly specialised in criminal law and will be able to guide you through the process while dealing with the various authorities related to your matter.


Armstrong Legal
Social Rating
Based on 281 reviews
Legal Hotline.
Open 7am - Midnight, 7 Days
Call 1300 038 223